Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Equiso Remote vs. other android devices
25-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Equiso Remote vs. other android devices
Hello,
i haven´t received my equiso yet, but i have following question:

Did anyone test the equiso remote on other android devices?
Are the android buttons working (like "home" and "back")?
This could be interesting, if the equiso is damaged or the performance is not enough and it needs to be replaced by other hardware.

chris
25-10-2012, 09:39 AM
RE: Equiso Remote vs. other android devices
From the Kickstarter comments:
"Keith Lampman about 11 hours ago

Well the remote does work with other Android devices. Using it with the G-Box Midnight Android Box."
All the various buttons SHOULD work.

Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
25-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks!
So it should also be possible to use it with an android tablet via OTG connector. Great! ;-)
25-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I'll try it in my TF101 tonight if I remember.

Would have been nice if it was a Bluetooth remote so it would work with ANY device.

bbilko, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Oct 2012.
26-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I already made a few tests with the remote:

The remote controller DOES work on other device(s). I tried it on my Samsung Galaxy S2 with the USB OTG or USB Host cable (w/e). But it's not perfect. First I want to say that my SGS2 is rooted and it might have some usb host "bugs" (or kind of), because I got some issue with another device.
Everything works, from the cursor moved by the gyro sensor to the querty keys of the back side, except for three buttons on the "front" side of the remote:
  • Power button (actually that one doesn't even work on my equiso)
  • Main menù button (on the right of the power button)
  • and the Home button that only highlights icons.
I also tested the remote on my desktop pc (win 7), connecting the usb receiver:
  • It recognised the device (very quickly btw) as SMART REMOTE, and it lets user change mouse and keyboard settings.
  • On the back side, ALL keys are recognised rightly.
  • On the front side:
    • the four directional buttons works as the the keyboard's arrows, and the central as a mouse left-click. volume keys and back key works fine.
    • the Home doesn't works as on Android taking you to the Home screen, but works as the Home key on
    • a normal keyboard.
    • the button on the right of the Home button works as the one on normal keyboard, so just like the right-click with a mouse, but NOT considering the cursor position.
    • power button doesn't work.
    • the menù button (on the right of the power button) works as F6 function key of a normal keyboard.
Probably I'll post other consideration or solution to "problems" later on a review...

JohnnyCau, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Oct 2012.
26-10-2012, 07:29 PM
The remote works great in XBMC (Open ELEC 2.0) on the Raspberry Pi too.
28-10-2012, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2012 02:31 PM by Devious.)
The power button on the front of the remote is for waking up the remote.
(26-10-2012 04:32 PM)JohnnyCau Wrote:  Power button (actually that one doesn't even work on my equiso)

(25-10-2012 06:24 AM)c.h.r.i.s Wrote:  Did anyone test the equiso remote on other android devices?
I have used the remote with my desktop computer and it worked the same way that it does on the equiso. The back button even worked in firefox. I guess I bought two very expensive remotes because the equiso wouldn't even make a good doorstop.

Devious