Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Equiso alternatives
30-11-2012, 03:21 PM
RE: Equiso alternatives
That does look like a good one Jeff

Gopichand Pai, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Nov 2012.
03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
ODROID-U2 or ODROID-X2 (more IO)

"Exynos4412 Prime 1.7GHz ARM Cortex-A9 Quad Core with 2GB memory" Same chip as the Samsung galaxy Note II.

It is not an HDMI stick but it has the most powerful hardware so far.

Electronics engineer/architect
22-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Over at squidoo.com, Roy Yap has done several reviews of the latest Android TV sticks. Here is an excellent overview of what to look for in comparing the various chipsets and OS's:
http://www.squidoo.com/android-mini-pc-buying-guide

Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
23-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Just out of curiousity did anyone on here back OUYA? Have backers received the product (assuming the product was a potential gift to backers)? If so, how does OUYA perform? I understand the device is for OS gaming purposes, not so much tv media streaming.

equiso_jeanine, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Oct 2012.
23-12-2012, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2012 02:46 PM by Devious.)

I think I've found one I'm willing to risk my money on: http://goo.gl/8EmYz[size=medium]

Zealz GK802 Freescale i.MX6 Quad Core Android Mini PC Cortex-A9 DDR3 1GB RAM 8GB ROM TV Dongle[/size]

Highlights:
  • Freescale i.MX6 Quad Core CPU&GPU 1.2GHZ
  • 1GB RAM + 8GB Flash
  • External sd card slot
  • Android 4.0 OS (Android 4.1/4.2 upgradeable)
  • Supports Full HD 1080P resolution play
  • True 1080P HD decoding
  • Built in WiFi module 802.11b/g/n,max speed 150Mbs
  • Built-in Bluetooth
[Image: 2012121201713367p9iu4617.JPG]

(23-12-2012 01:16 AM)equiso_jeanine Wrote:  Just out of curiousity did anyone on here back OUYA? Have backers received the product (assuming the product was a potential gift to backers)? If so, how does OUYA perform? I understand the device is for OS gaming purposes, not so much tv media streaming.
I don't believe they have shipped yet. I missed out on the Ouya Kickstarter but you can still pre-order them on their website:
Pre-Order OUYA Console and Controller Today!
Expected Delivery: April 2013
http://www.ouya.tv/buyouya/
$99 w/1controller + $10 US shipping

Pre-Order OUYA Development Kit
Expected Delivery: January 2013
$800
Specifications:
  • Tegra3 quad-core processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB of internal flash storage
  • HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth LE 4.0
  • USB 2.0 (one)
  • Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
  • Android 4.0
  • ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)

Devious
23-12-2012, 03:29 PM
(23-12-2012 01:16 AM)equiso_jeanine Wrote:  Have backers received the product (assuming the product was a potential gift to backers)?
From their Kickstarter front page:
"We can only promise OUYA by March to our Kickstarter backers."

Jeff Schallenberg
23-12-2012, 11:35 PM
(23-12-2012 03:29 PM)jschall Wrote:  
(23-12-2012 01:16 AM)equiso_jeanine Wrote:  Have backers received the product (assuming the product was a potential gift to backers)?
From their Kickstarter front page:
"We can only promise OUYA by March to our Kickstarter backers."
Jeff S. - Curious, is Equiso the only product you have backed via Kickstarter? If there are other companies you have supported I hope you can share which ones and if any have successfully delivered **Successfully, meaning up to your standards - which I have learned are high - Not a bad quality.**

Are there any small tech companies that produce a product you are completely satisfied with? The reason I specify "small" company is because it's so easy to cite large tech companies with millions of dollars going into R&D etc.

Personally I have always loved Sonos. Although they are now a much larger company, I have followed them since their launch and have always been very happy with the product design & functionality.

equiso_jeanine, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Oct 2012.
24-12-2012, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2012 04:15 PM by jschall.)
(23-12-2012 11:35 PM)equiso_jeanine Wrote:  Jeff S. - Curious, is Equiso the only product you have backed via Kickstarter? If there are other companies you have supported I hope you can share which ones and if any have successfully delivered **Successfully, meaning up to your standards - which I have learned are high - Not a bad quality.**
No, I had never even heard of Kickstarter before hearing of the Pocket TV and Equiso. I decided to back Equiso over Infinitec because it was based in the US, not Dubai (racial predjudice?).

I am still looking for a decent Android media player - one that is better performing than my Diamond Multimedia AMP1000 (a rebranded Geniatech ATV1000).
Neither the Pocket TV nor the Equiso should have been allowed onto Kickstarter, although I didn't initially realize they are copying Chinese ideas. Where is the innovation?
Google TV - now THAT'S innovative - the ability to search for content among cable service, local storage and Internet services. But look how long it's taking Google to get the user interface right!

Maybe I'll check out the Hisense Pulse:
http://gdgt.com/hisense/pulse/with-google-tv/

Jeff Schallenberg
24-12-2012, 08:25 AM
(24-12-2012 02:15 AM)jschall Wrote:  No, I had never even heard of Kickstarter before hearing of the Pocket TV and Equiso. I decided to back Equiso over Infinitec because it was based in the US, not Dubai
I also had never been on Kickstarter's website before hearing about the Pocket TV project. I was also fooled into thinking that the Equiso was an American company producing a product and that played a big part in my decision to go with the Equiso. The remote was probably the second largest reason I chose the Equiso and ultimately was also a large part of my disappointment because the receiver was supposed to be part of the stick, not a usb dongle that plugs in and takes up the only usb port.

Devious
28-12-2012, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2012 09:32 AM by Devious.)
My GK802 arrived and I ran an AnTuTu Benchmark test on it for comparison to the equiso. The wifi tests at the full 10Mbps up and 10Mbps down that my internet connection is capable of hooked up to the same tv and using the same router and settings that my equiso couldn't manage over 1Mbps on. The display can be set to a 1080p but I use 720 because 1080 makes the icons too small for me. The overall difference in performance is obvious from the benchmark results. The first picture is from the GK802 straight out of the box with no modifications, the second is the best result I ever had from the equiso.

GK802 straight out of the box unmodified:

[Image: r2ZjT.png]

EQUISO SMARTV AFTER MONTHS OF "UPDATES":

[Image: MsXTI.png]

Devious