Hopefully an update will make it useable
I've already thrown it out
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is anyone Not disappointed with the PRO
10-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Thumbs Down Is anyone Not disappointed with the PRO
I spent several hours last night working with it and was severely disappointed with almost every aspect of this device.

I backed it originally probably like most people because i wanted to use it for HULU and netflix. Hulu is not supported AT ALL even though its shown on the kickstarter page. Netflix works but the quality is horrible (yes im on 1080p settings)

I also spent a few hours trying to get XBMC to work. I tried the HULU and amazon plugins neither of which worked the majority of the time and when they did the video was way behind the audio and was playing at like 5fps.

I even tried to play video from my NAS though xbmc and through mx player/es explorer(with DTS Codecs for mkv's). I was not able to stream anything 1080p or 720p. I was finally able to stream some older avi files that were around 180mb but even those stuttered and was un-watchable.

And whats up with the remote requiring that dongle, why include a usb port if your going to take it up with the remote dongle. I understand you can use a hub but this thing is supposed to be portable. The remote is constantly typing multiple letters i hit e once and i get eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and then half the time the backspace button does not work so i have to use the on screen keyboard with the gesture cursor which is wonky and gets stuck.

Overall since this thing can not even stream video its useless. /rant
10-01-2013, 05:17 PM
I am happy with my pro.
It connected right up to my wireless which is a fair distance away from the TV.
I've noticed problems with the remote, but after using it for a while it has improved a great deal.
Netflix works well (keep in mind that it is working on a 20" Vizio in our bedroom) I can imagine that on a bigger screen it would be worse.
Hulu not being supported was a bummer, but I really bought this to have net access and weather on the wall when we wake up.
When my 32gb MicroSD arrives, I intend to put a bunch of movies on there so when we all go to a hotel we have a portable movie library for the kids. If that playback is poor I'll be more disappointed.

Dolbie, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Nov 2012.
10-01-2013, 05:38 PM
RE: Is anyone Not disappointed with the PRO
I guess it depends on one's expectations.

I fully expected "beta-quality" at best.

I also fully expected that it would have some wifi issues -- most devices that size have a pathetic antenna, and if you jam it behind a TV set, it seems logical that it's going to suffer even more. And on that topic, I already know that my Sony TV has screws in awful places, right up to the HDMI port edge, so I completely expected that I would need an extension cable or adapter to plug the thing in.

I'm actually pleased about the remote and the usb dongle. I despise "gyro" mice; I often end up jiggling the cursor whilst depressing the "select" button, and ending up selecting nothing or the wrong thing -- so the ability to unplug that remote and plug in an ordinary mouse is fabulous. Plus, it means there's one less thing to pack when I go on a trip.

Bluetooth is neat -- now we need to get some more drivers in the kernel. The fact that it can be rooted easily is a huge plus. It's only a matter of time before someone gets a kernel build close enough that we can add custom kernel modules and add support for all manner of USB devices.

The biggest thing that Equiso could do to make this thing better would be to open up their Android source code, and let the community take it from here -- we can make this thing fly.
10-01-2013, 10:38 PM
I am happy with my Pro the hardware all seems to work fine for me and the remote works great. I am however a bit unhappy about its compatibility with some of the streaming services out there that was the main reason for buying the Equiso. if they can get it to work with HuluPlus, CinemaNow and the new kid on the block RedBox Instant it would be awsome. I am using Remote Media Center App with Remote Potato Server to watch Videos and RecordedTV from my Windows Media Center PC along with Pictures,Music and the TV Program Guide.
11-01-2013, 02:24 AM
The pro came with a bluetooth?

d3bugu, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Oct 2012.
11-01-2013, 03:41 AM
I was confused by the inclusion of the dongle in the package when I opened it as well, especially as there's nothing in/on the box that says it's for the remote. I didn't figure the USB port would be occupied with a receiver for the remote. Since it has Bluetooth, I should see if I can get to play nice with one of my PS3 controllers.
11-01-2013, 04:30 AM
Re: RE: Is anyone Not disappointed with the PRO
(11-01-2013 02:24 AM)d3bugu Wrote:  The pro came with a bluetooth?

Yes.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Heaiser, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Dec 2012.
11-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Signed up for an account just to vote and say this thing is terrible.

I can't get any of the apps to work on it and the few that do run are sluggish and unbearable. The "Smart Apps" on my tv run better and don't have as much compute power available. The dongle for the remote is a big disappointment. How am I supposed to be able to hook up an external usb device (as advertised) and still use the remote? Am I really going to have to get a usb hub just for this? If so, I'm going back to my Raspberry Pi.
11-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm a bit underwhelmed too.

I feel that if the company adds to the firmware it could be a lot better.

I feel the community will step up and really reverse engineer and enhance the device. Hopefully the company will release the firmware to the community to really enable them to build on the hardware.

Right now, I wish I would have spent the money on Raspberry Pi instead of this device. (Will trade for Pi)

Nunquam Imparatum - Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
11-01-2013, 06:08 PM
(11-01-2013 04:21 PM)YoYo-Pete Wrote:  I'm a bit underwhelmed too.

I feel that if the company adds to the firmware it could be a lot better.

I feel the community will step up and really reverse engineer and enhance the device. Hopefully the company will release the firmware to the community to really enable them to build on the hardware.

Right now, I wish I would have spent the money on Raspberry Pi instead of this device. (Will trade for Pi)

I've been waiting for real firmware and source files from equiso back in oct 2012 for the standard. With that as the track record I say good luck on improvements anytime soon or ever on the pros. Equiso admitted they don't have in house software devs they are using their chinese manufacturing devs. The company has like a hand full of employees but no one with real android dev experience.

The Pi is a good box for about $50 with case and stuff, but the old arm CPU and slow CPU speeds (700mhz, 1ghz turbo mode) had kept me away. However the quad core CPU/gpu android sticks are priced at $100. These work fine out of the box.

Root Std
Root Pro
build.prop Tweak! (SU)
38% faster read (SU)
Tweaks