Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Manufacturer of Equiso Stick and Remote
22-01-2013, 12:48 AM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 01:32 AM by EquisoDumbTV.)
RE: Manufacturer of Equiso Stick and Remote
(21-01-2013 07:12 PM)jschall Wrote:  On January 20th, Forum member @EquisoDumbTV shared the results of his investigation:

"Adam lies again. I contacted Uptek to find out if his claims were true. Uptek said that Adam is one of several distributors for their product. They do not have any exclusive agreement with Equiso and are not working in house. If anything, Adam is working for them and just rebranded the Uptek stick with an Equiso logo.

Throwing some light on this shade."

To which Adam McBride replied
" I don't know who "EquisoDumbTV" is. From the looks of it, it seems they are a competitor as they registered on the forum today and that one post is the only post they have. Seems suspicious. If you want to confirm it straight from the source I suggest you email kristy@equiso.com or her old email at kristy@uptek.com.cn. It seems some people or competitors are really out to bring down Equiso. We are working really hard to bring you guys more updates and better software. We are currently in China working with the factories to lower down our defect rate and make happy backers. The reality is if we really wanted to run and take off with people's money, we wouldn't still be working so hard on making a better product. We would have moved on to something else. We are very passionate about Equiso and will continue to work hard. People can continue to sling mud. It doesn't do anything to make the Equiso better. We could also be wasting our time getting involved in the mud slinging, but it just wastes time and nothing gets done in the end. We welcome our backers to constructively tell us shipping is slow, or that a certain bug in the system really irritates them. It's comments like these that help us fix what is wrong.Thanks!
- Adam"

So, who are you, anyway, @EquisoDumbTV?

I am an original backer.

I received confirmation that no merger between Uptek and Equiso occurred. Adam is simply one of many distribution channels for their 2 Hdmi stick devices.

Uptek has additional products as well. They are simply a manufacturer of cell and tv gadgets and anyone, you or I could easily purchase their minimum entry order and become distributors.

Adam is a liar, I think he is pathological since he cannot tell us backers the straight truth. He continuously spins stories that with a little investigation are easily dispelled. It's too funny that he always puts blame on "competitors," who Roku, Favi, GoogleTV, Apple? Roku doesn't care about Equiso. Equiso is only sold only on their shitty website. Roku and Favi are so beyond Equiso, I can't help but laugh at his speculation that "competitors" are posting on some obscure forum. The guy is really detached from reality.

EquisoDumbTV, Ben Davies // Duxbury, MA // frustrated Equiso user.
12-04-2013, 09:24 PM
(22-01-2013 12:48 AM)EquisoDumbTV Wrote:  I am an original backer.

I received confirmation that no merger between Uptek and Equiso occurred. Adam is simply one of many distribution channels for their 2 Hdmi stick devices.

Uptek has additional products as well. They are simply a manufacturer of cell and tv gadgets and anyone, you or I could easily purchase their minimum entry order and become distributors.

Adam is a liar, I think he is pathological since he cannot tell us backers the straight truth. He continuously spins stories that with a little investigation are easily dispelled. It's too funny that he always puts blame on "competitors," who Roku, Favi, GoogleTV, Apple? Roku doesn't care about Equiso. Equiso is only sold only on their shitty website. Roku and Favi are so beyond Equiso, I can't help but laugh at his speculation that "competitors" are posting on some obscure forum. The guy is really detached from reality.

Google "android hdmi stick" and you'll find plenty of devices that are similar to what Equiso offers - they could be the ones who are worried about Equiso.
16-04-2013, 01:23 AM
I don;t think anyone is worried about equiso. roku owns this arena and more tvs are coming onto the market with smart features. these sticks are going to be a thing of the past. kind of like the cassette you use to connect to your car radio and the other end to your CD player in order to play CD's in your car.

(12-04-2013 09:24 PM)Cramill Wrote:  
(22-01-2013 12:48 AM)EquisoDumbTV Wrote:  I am an original backer.

Google "android hdmi stick" and you'll find plenty of devices that are similar to what Equiso offers - they could be the ones who are worried about Equiso.

EquisoDumbTV, Ben Davies // Duxbury, MA // frustrated Equiso user.
24-08-2013, 09:44 PM
I flashed it successfully, but the Wifi doesnt turn on...

Newbie, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Aug 2013.
07-12-2013, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 04:38 AM by svartalf.)
(24-08-2013 09:44 PM)Newbie Wrote:  I flashed it successfully, but the Wifi doesnt turn on...
That's because they probably used a different WiFi chipset than the one on the Kimdecent unit.

I bothered to crack one of the consumer units open to do a bit of analysis and maybe do a bit of work towards making a custom ROM happen as a play project. I was, to say the least, surprised and rather disappointed.

Uptek's thermal solution was to have this thick (and I emphasize this...) thermal pad stuck to the logo-ed top of the case. The pad was stuck to what appears to be a thin shim glued to the inside of the top. The WiFi antenna looks to be pogo-pin connected to a small stub on the top part of the case. The vent holes are on the side that should, by rights, not need any ventilation- and there is no ventilation or proper dissipation on the side with the SoC.

There's a reason they pinned it in conservative mode in the stock firmware. The "design" pushes thermal tolerances most of the time- and it might run "too hot" when you're maxing the device out. (I'm taking all of mine out of performance governor mode and putting it back to ondemand so it has a halfway chance of staying cooler until I can maybe come up with a redesign of this circlejerk they did there. It's tempting to cut a few small vent holes in the case top and use Artic Alumina epoxy and glue an old copper RAM mini heat sink to the SoC.

I know one thing...I'm not buying much of anything from Uptek. This is a brown paper bag over the head type item for them. (This isn't even reaching to what Equiso's been up to and how much "hang your head in shame" they've accumulated for this little venture...)

svartalf, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Nov 2013.
09-12-2013, 08:39 PM
@svartalf:
Thank you for the description and analysis of the Uptek device.

Would it be possible to post some pictures of your teardown?

Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
10-12-2013, 04:43 AM
(09-12-2013 08:39 PM)jschall Wrote:  @svartalf:
Thank you for the description and analysis of the Uptek device.

Would it be possible to post some pictures of your teardown?
Yeah, I'll try to get some decent photos of it here shortly. Depending on how well my crazy idea that came of the teardown, I might even have a post of the mod that results from it all.

Right now, I've got three of them. One that I paid Wal-Mart's retail (which they're no longer carrying it...wonder why...) for and two that I paid the right price for (If you're bidding on eBay, folks, $25 plus about $6-10 in shipping is all these are really worth right at the moment...). As a stick, if they didn't have the thermal problems keeping them from running at their full potential, they'd actually have been worth what they asked for them. As it stands...well...

I'm wondering if there's going to be more than the smidge of fanfare over CM getting some of them from Equiso- Koush's been pretty quiet on the subject past the initial announcement.

svartalf, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Nov 2013.
02-02-2014, 03:50 PM
As an update...

I've been a bit busy (You've got to love working 60+ hour work-weeks with the day job and then having the landlord short-sell your house out from underneath you...)

I finally got to the start of the mods and I should be posting pics shortly of the teardown AND the mod. Mod so far seems to work well- I'll be stressing it a bit shortly (Got a bit of personal business that'll pull me away from things for about a week or so...). They should've done a real heat-spreader. That thing I thought was a metal shim? It's another thermal transfer pad made mostly out of graphite...on top of the thick spongy one...stuck to the top of the case. Really? This wanders off into the criminal at this point for both parties- it's amazing that they function reliably at all because the TDP is still robust on the Nufront SoC at peak and putting it into Conservative governor mode only delays the inevitable. If someone actually tries to use the full potential (say Dish Anywhere or a mid-end 3D game...) of the device it'll just simply thermal cutoff operation and just hang the stick. If you continuously use the device in it's basic function (i.e. Netflix or Hulu...) it will eventually do the same thing because it can't rid itself of enough heat in it's current design.

At this point the Equisos are all usable playtoys (as in I'm using them for their intended purpose until I can justify a Rockchip quadcore based unit's price for all three...)- anything I'm doing at this point is to make them more useful in the big picture sense for myself. I'll be sharing all the findings, etc. with everyone in the desire to help the owners of the Pro's and Retail's (that still own them...) get what they thought they were getting out of it.

23-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Heh... I started to do an antenna mod as well on my casemod work. Needless to say...the antenna's a joke as well. They bothered with a brilliant pogo-pin connected to the case (saves costs and if you've done it right, works nearly as well as the coax runs the other players ran with...) but then severely crippled it with this piss-poor attempt at a diversity antenna on a sticker that they ran with. Simple stained glass foiling tape, a bit of solder, and while crude should be a a better design, while keeping the case mostly intact.

I'm unsurprised, but still faintly disappointed. Another fubar. What's sad is that there's at least a few similar sins like this one on many of the other HDMI sticks out there. You have to do a few re-works like I'm doing for even sticks like Tronsmart's. (They don't have a good thermal answer- it's better than everyone else's, but it's still needs a re-work like I'm doing with the Equiso...)

Oh, well...I'm using this as an excuse for proving out a few notions on HDMI sticks in general.

28-02-2014, 01:41 AM
May I ask all of you, is there anyway to make my waltmart edition to have wifi back? I was my nistact update mine to android 4.1 without seeing all the comments in that post and finally end up with a stick without wifi.