Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Netflix streaming quality poor on Pro.
13-01-2013, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2013 11:27 PM by blkcamarozr28.)
Trying to figure out why network streams and Netflix quality is so poor. Here's what I'm experiencing now. Weird thing is the standard unit streams fine at high quality but choppy at times cause the low cpu speeds.

It's not poor WiFi cause I used a usb Ethernet adapter and get 83Mbps down and 87Mbs up. So, it's not network related.
[Image: egy8e7yb.jpg]

Poor image quality
NetFlix
[Image: ynabaju8.jpg]

Live streaming
[Image: vazu9ymu.jpg]

Root Std
Root Pro
build.prop Tweak! (SU)
38% faster read (SU)
Tweaks
13-01-2013, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2013 09:38 PM by blkcamarozr28.)
Thumbs Down RE: NetFlix streaming quality poor on Pro.
Tried a few more things today but NetFlix still looks worst then a VHS tape (pixelation).

Current NetFlix verion is ver 2.1.1 build 751 (as of 2013/01/13)
Tried a few revision back thinking it was something to do with the latest Netflix app but ver 2.0.2 build 665 & ver 2.0.0 build 635 yeilded the same results.

Tried loggin into NetFlix website and setting the video quality
Your Account->YOUR STREAMING PLAN->Manage video quality-> Changed to Best quality.
Same results bad pixelation. Sad

Manage video quality

We know that some of you have Internet data caps and we want to make it easier for you to manage how much data you use.
We offer 3 video quality settings to help you manage your data usage. No matter what level you choose, your Netflix membership price will remain the same.

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

Also, modified the cpu governor to run in performance mode and hardcoded the device to run in hardware only decoding and same results. Im beginning to think that this pixelation problem has to do with the HDMI out then the apps as we all probably noticed at 720p & 1080p you can still see the pixelation in the output on the tv. Maybe less noticeable when your running it on smaller televisions/computer monitors but on the big screen it looks downright awful! Angry

These tweaks that I used for NetFlix helps the device run faster but doesn't fix the pixelation problem. Either way, if you rooted you should do it. Smile
http://www.equisoforum.com/Thread-Pro-CP...t-Required

Root Std
Root Pro
build.prop Tweak! (SU)
38% faster read (SU)
Tweaks
14-01-2013, 09:29 PM
RE: Netflix streaming quality poor on Pro.
Yep, looked equally terrible in 720p and 1080p on my 37".
16-01-2013, 02:22 PM
If the issue was the HDMI connector, wouldnt it cause all the output to be lowres and not just netflix?

I'm kind of baffled about how it could work on the standard with no issues and not on the pro.

Is the only solution to wait on the company to do a firmware fix? Or you think savvy developers could modify the current state to make it work?

Nunquam Imparatum - Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
16-01-2013, 06:56 PM
(16-01-2013 02:22 PM)YoYo-Pete Wrote:  If the issue was the HDMI connector, wouldnt it cause all the output to be lowres and not just netflix?

I'm kind of baffled about how it could work on the standard with no issues and not on the pro.

Is the only solution to wait on the company to do a firmware fix? Or you think savvy developers could modify the current state to make it work?

Look at the icons and back ground and you should see the pixelation. As for a solution, well it would be easy for uptek to fix it since they have the source files.
If you haven't notice already there are hardly anyone hacking the equiso other then me and a few others. I think most guys just sell their equiso and move on in stead of wasting their time on false promises. I did the same with my standard and if things don't change the pro will go too and I will reinvest my money into a product that works like the Pi or odroid (http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/p...5341370451)

Root Std
Root Pro
build.prop Tweak! (SU)
38% faster read (SU)
Tweaks
16-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I agree... I bought it for a particular use, which is an entertainment device for travel and to decouple a PC from a TV so it can do more PC type stuff and this stick could provide the netflix and DLNA/NAS video to watch.

That's all I want. Seems like the pro version kind of screwed me (unless a fix comes out) as the standard came out earlier and doesnt have the low res issue.

I'm stuck in limbo not knowing if I should follow suit or if I should wait and see how this product matures. Right now I'm feeling like this might be it based on everyone's interactions with the company.

What really confuses me is all the praise I see posed. Fake? Clueless? Who knows.

I really dont see how any user can come away with a good user experience on this current version of the device. :/

16-01-2013, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2013 07:59 PM by blkcamarozr28.)
Re: Netflix streaming quality poor on Pro.
@Yoyo-pete- the standard has way more issues with force closing and crazy lag so I really doubt they will fix that. For the price of a standard you can get a mk808 for 1/2 the price ($40) and everything works and simiar hardware specs as the pro. So, the standard is a lose money proposition same goes with the pro price you can get a quad core cpu/gpu while the pro gets dual cpu and single core gpu. Another failed attempt into the market.

I'll try run some debugs later in the week and see if anything looks funky. In the meantime our only hope is to make enough noise so equiso makes it a priority but even then they are worried only on marketing and adding new software packages.

On side note dlna works great on skifta. Disable airplay and just use skifta!

Root Std
Root Pro
build.prop Tweak! (SU)
38% faster read (SU)
Tweaks
17-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah.. I should have gone the DIY route I guess instead of a product like equisio or similar. I was kind of in a kickstarting mood at the time equisio launched there. Tongue

I'm going to setup a CIFS mount on the device and see how well things play across the network like that. I think that would be better than DLNA server (I dont have one I'm happy with.. What do you recommend?)

Support acknowledge this issue via email.
Quote: We have not had anyone report this yet, but we do know that the video quality is lower than it should be. We will be working on this for the firmware update we will have available very soon like we did for the standard model.
Honestly it's probably not worth the effort to procure a new device right now, for my use case. Especially if I can get a decent fix for netflix and get a CIFS share to my PC (need a NAS bad). I can then play video from my library on the device. (trying to watch digital media across the house with no wires and not having a pc on my nice TV) Plus maybe it can do some simple stuff like push or pull from cloud into my home network for some automation stuff, or download some torrents. I dunno. Thought I would try that scripting library on it and play around and see if I can do some silly stuff with this, twine, blink1, pebble.

I do like (in theory) that I can connect to my jambox and use that as an audio output. I've not tried this yet, but I do it with my phone, so I hope it would work.

But netflix. Man. Need a good netflix experience for this to be an acceptable solution. That's the #1 use case I backed it for. Smart TV (and Travel TV)

17-01-2013, 09:06 PM
(17-01-2013 04:06 PM)YoYo-Pete Wrote:  But netflix. Man. Need a good netflix experience for this to be an acceptable solution. That's the #1 use case I backed it for. Smart TV (and Travel TV)
Yeah, same here, now I'm kinda feeling like I should have just grabbed a Roku or something. As it is I've gone from one kludgy solution (Xbox 360 + PlayOn) to another.
18-01-2013, 06:46 PM
the $99 one is the direct competitor, but there's a spread of options vs price ranges.

My issue is that it doesnt solve the problem with playing local(or NAS) media or play spotify, which is the music service I use.

But... for netflix (and other services) on a TV, I bet it's great.