Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stick broke after OTA, sent back to Equiso and never received one back
18-06-2013, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2013 03:06 PM by Bits.)
Stick broke after OTA, sent back to Equiso and never received one back
As a Kickstarter backer, I received the TV stick way later than anticipated.

It bricked soon after following an OTA update in Apr 13. After contacting Dan through their support channel, I was sent some files to restore the device which didn't work. Dan then informed me Equiso doesn't have access to the program to flash the device and required me to send the device back. He gave me an address in Shenzhen China as I was located in Asia. I sent the stick as requested at my own costs and there was no news thereafter until I checked the tracking status to find out that there was no one at their China location to take delivery. I kept having to remind Dan of the status of the matter. I was then told a replacement stick will be sent to me. The story subsequently changed - that a re-flashed device will be returned to me. I was given a tracking number. After a couple weeks when I didn't receive anything in the mail, I checked the tracking status only to find out there is no record of any parcel having been sent. To this date I've only received the silent treatment save for the automated threat from their support system to close my ticket.

A LOUD WARNING to anyone even considering buying one of these Equiso sticks....DON'T!!
18-06-2013, 11:39 PM
RE: Stick broke after OTA, sent back to Equiso and never received one back
I feel sorry for you....this should not happen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
19-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Per the conversation on Zendesk you had with Dan, we did ask you to send it back here for us to fix because we couldn't just give you the software to flash it yourself. This after Dan went through some steps to help you on Zendesk.

We are fully capable of restoring the Equiso's here but you didn't want to pay to ship it from where you are and instead opted to send it back to the office in China. They have flashed your device and sent it out via whatever post they use over there (China in general).

Dan has spoken with the China office and they have said it shipped. No idea why the tracking # isn't working for you. Perhaps they're just as useless as USPS tracking #'s here in the U.S.

Former graphic designer for Equiso. We were held back from helping you.
19-06-2013, 11:55 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2013 03:05 PM by Bits.)
John,

By yours and Dan's reply, it would mean that Equiso has no means of controlling its China production whether in terms of quality or whereabouts of its products. This is highly troubling for all your customers and not just myself.

I confirm I had been given a tracking number but to date there is no explanation given of why the tracking number shows absolutely no item being despatched to me nor evidence of it having being sent at all despite repeated requests other than for a half baked excuse that it is on hold.
15-08-2013, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2013 03:05 PM by Bits.)
A pathetic update to this already sorry saga....

I finally received a replacement stick 2.5 months after sending the original stick back to Equiso. Horrifically the new stick is also bricked. Equiso's recurrent reply has been "We do not know what to say about why the device is not working for you." They demanded that I return the stick to them yet again at my own costs. Naturally, with the prior experience and with no assurance nor confidence that this will see a final resolution, I'm hesitant to incur any further costs.
15-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Re: Stick broke after OTA, sent back to Equiso and never received one back
Bits- does the blue light turn on when powering up? Maybe its just uncompatible with your tv. It fails to work on my Visio LED tv but works on everything else I tested on. If you have a newer computer monitor that has hdmi try plugging it in there. That would be the true test.

Root Std
Root Pro
build.prop Tweak! (SU)
38% faster read (SU)
Tweaks
15-08-2013, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2013 03:05 PM by Bits.)
Yeah it does power up...the original stick worked on the TV before the OTA upgrade. Now it's just stuck in the boot screen with the Equiso logo. And Equiso calls this a very rare occurrence - it's happening twice to me!
16-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Bits- how technical are you. If you have ubuntu linux I could walk you throught the manual flashing.

Root Std
Root Pro
build.prop Tweak! (SU)
38% faster read (SU)
Tweaks
16-08-2013, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2013 03:04 PM by Bits.)
No I don't have Linux. Dan has sent me the files & tool to reflash and didn't work. I've had enough of this product and just want a refund and put this behind me.
16-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Good luck with the refund. Maybe equiso will have a change of heart and grant it to you.

Root Std
Root Pro
build.prop Tweak! (SU)
38% faster read (SU)
Tweaks