Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Perfect Stick
23-12-2012, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2012 11:28 PM by equiso_jeanine.)
The Perfect Stick
I think it's a good idea to crowdsource for future add ons/features etc. There are a lot of issues that need to first be nailed down with the software and I agree with whoever said that the development team needs to be in house - absolutely! That said tech talent is very expensive and until institutional investment is brought on outsourcing the software is *from what I am told and know* the route we currently need to go.

I also agree that innovation - design etc need to be unique and created by the company. Sure Apple and Dell have their products manufactured overseas - but their innovation and designs are in-house, they do not rely on the Chinese manufacturer to do everything -- in that case it's just some random company claiming ownership to someone else products and attempting to market it under a misleading name.

So I ask aside from the obvious software needs - what additional features would you like to see any smart stick creator add on? After seeing blackcamarozr28's post in the 'Pro Model' thread "I bet it's Bluetooth since a lot of other sticks include that now," I thought this may be a good thread to have ongoing.

What are the current stick solutions / media streamers missing? Equiso, Roku, Favi etc... I'm not looking for what everyone else IS doing, but more so what these sticks SHOULD be doing. No company has yet to nail it and most come out with the same thing others already have -- Therefore I ask: What would help make a smart stick truly revolutionary?

Do you think these sticks are just a quick fad or do you see the stick as a long-lasting product? I am interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas. Thanks in advance.

equiso_jeanine, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Oct 2012.
24-12-2012, 02:34 AM
RE: The Perfect Stick
First of all, I think the idea of a stick-sized media player is an aberration - those Chinese manufacturers are just showing off their skill at miniaturization and cost reduction.
To be able to do all that transcoding and graphics processing demands high clock frequency and lots of RAM. That means HEAT. So, it's a challenge to squeeze enough heat-sink into a stick-sized box.
Then there's all that radiofrequency interference to deal with - and placing the fractal antenna on top of the CPU clock is just dumb.
Put the same CPU into a 15cm-square box with a honking big heat-sink and an external rubber-ducky antenna, add lots of ports, add a TV-friendly user interface, and sell it for $150. That's what Pivos did, then they got in bed with XBMC, and they've got a winner.

Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
24-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Re: The Perfect Stick
I think these sticks are a fad. If you really think about the portability of these devices its kind of silly. Most dumb tv require the use of an AC adapter and most usb powered tv ports are ~500Mah and you really need at least 1amp for the dual and quad core cpu sticks. So, being ultra portable is kewl but it's a gimic cause of the power requirements. Plus, the down falls of having a compact stick that plugs directly into the hdmi port only makes your WiFi suck even more. You just can't ignore physics. The radio signal at 2.4 or 5GHz just doesn't work well behind a well shielded tv. The ultra compact size also causes heat/over heating issues. Which is why everyone under clocks their devices which results in slow/poor performance.
Anyone see the trend here? Small = bad!

I would love to see a device like the raspberry pi with more cpu power and possibly a dual band WiFi (2 & 5Ghz). There is way less interference and more bandwidth in the 5ghz spectrum.

If I had to choose a device it would be this unit. Linux and android is support and the beefest of the android devices.

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/p...5341370451

SPECIFICATIONS

Processor Samsung Exynos4412 Prime Cortex-A9 Quad Core 1.7Ghz with 1MB L2 cache

Memory 2048MB(2GB) LP-DDR2 880Mega data rate

3D Accelerator Mali-400 Quad Core 440MHz

Video supports 1080p via HDMI cable(H.264+AAC based MP4 container format)

Video Out micro HDMI connector

Audio Standard 3.5mm headphone jack, Digital Microphone input HDMI Digital

LAN 10/100Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 Jack ( Auto-MDIX support)

USB2.0 Host High speed standard A type connector x 2 ports

USB2.0 Device ADB/Mass storage(Micro USB)

Display HDMI monitor

Storage (Option) MicroSD Card Slot eMMC module socket

Power (Option) 5V 2A Power

System Software u-boot 2010.12, Kernel 3.0.x, Android 4.x Source code will be uploaded on download page after first shipment.

Case Aluminum full metal body with heat sink. (59 x 57 x 60 mm)

PCB Size 48 x 52 mm

I'm sure this unit will meet all our multimedia needs!

Root Std
Root Pro
build.prop Tweak! (SU)
38% faster read (SU)
Tweaks
24-12-2012, 08:09 AM
RE: The Perfect Stick
I think a good start would be a product that actually works. Something that does what it says it will. I don't just want something that can make android load up on my television screen, I want to be able to use it once it's on there.

I don't want a device that has the bare minimum features needed just to operate. I want something that will run as smooth as my two year old Motorola Xoom tablet. Before the product is released it should be tested until you honestly believe it to be impossible to make it force close an application. Certainly the 1st time I turn on my purchase I shouldn't be welcomed by "Launcher is not responding". Here's a stretch goal: Put out a product that I can mail to my Grandmother and tell her over the phone to plug it in to her television and she would be able to use it, isn't that how Apple got where they are? How about using automatic over the air updates instead of requiring me to follow the current procedure requiring additional equipment if I even manage to find out that there is an update available? To sum it up, make a product that works properly and make it simple for people to own and they will have a good experience and share that experience with others who will then want to purchase that product.

Devious