Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turning the Pro into an actual HT Experience (XBMC/Launchers) thread
21-03-2013, 03:35 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2013 04:06 PM by Us3r.)
Turning the Pro into an actual HT Experience (XBMC/Launchers) thread
Well since Im stuck with this friggin thing I figured I'd try to make the best out of it and see if you can actually do what the "developers" (and I use that term very loosely here) completely couldnt be arsed to do.

First lets start with the main interface, its no secret that the device came with a vanilla cell phone copy of android with absolutely no modifications apart from removing some widgets from the desktop and hiding the status bar. While the standard Android launcher is OK its really not ideal for TV use and feels a little out of place and sort of removes you from that HTPC experience.

To solve this I installed the TVLauncher, availabler from the play store, there is also a Pro version with more feautres. This gives you a really clean and simple layout with large icons that can be easily selected from the couch. I didnt much care for the wallpapers it used so I switched it to the Super Bokeh live wallpaper which I think looks great behind the icons and looks really nice on a TV in general.

Next I had to solve the issue of not being able to play flash video via the web browser on the Pro for which I installed XBMC which actually runs OK (I'm as shocked as you are). I did run into an issue which I havent found a solution to yet though, I'm not able to install addons in XBMC, Ive tried installing from fusion.xbmc hub and just by downloading them from the web and installing via extrnal storage. In both cases when I click the addon I want to install the file browser pane just dispersal and nothings happens, has anyone else had this problem and found a solutions?

So no addons is a problem right? Well it certainly is if you just install the standard or nightly build which is bare bones but there is an XBMC XAF version with most of the plugins you could want already installed (with a few exceptions) available here:

http://www.xbmcandroid.com/

You will also find a guide on how to get it all set up and other helpful info. One great thing about the XAF version is that it installs itself as a launcher so when you press the home button you get the option to go to your android launcher or to XMBC which makes it excellent for switching between XMBC and your desktop in a jiffy.

With XBMC XAF you'll have the 1channel plugin, the navi-x plugin and everything else for your show/movie viewing pleasure and it streams them fairly well, its not quite as nice as watching them through a browser on a proper computer as far as video playback goes but it works well enough and if the heavens part and the chinese show mercy on us by actually realsing another update (which I honestly doubt, we will probably never get another update for this thing) maybe, just maybe, they will imrpove video playback more.

One other note, with XBMC XAF you use MX Player as the external player which seems to work OK but the quality isnt quite as good as the web player you would use in a browser, I find it runs a bit better in hardware decoding mode but I still have to play with it a bit more before I render a verdict. Also there are other external players that can be used with XBMC but I have not tried them yet, if anyone has any experience with other ones feel free to share.

So that was me turning poop into fertilizer, its not perfect but its a hell of alot better then what it is out of the box and actually resembles what an HTPC should be.

If anyone needs help/tutorials on how I got everything set up I can help but its fairly straight forward with the exception of working with some of the streaming addons if you've never used it beofore.

I hope this helps some of you get at least some use out of your grossly over priced little black plastic stick of disappointment and woe.

If anyone has any other tweaks/tips to making these things suck a little less feel free to share here!

Still pissed off though, could have gotten a Pivos Aios for the price of this thing, can I get my money back?

Us3r, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Nov 2012.
21-03-2013, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 12:25 AM by Us3r.)
RE: Turning the Pro into an actual HT Experience (XBMC/Launchers) thread
Just tried the new XBMC Frodo and it works, it actually runs a bit nicer then the XAF build and it solved the add-on installation issue, also the internal player seems to get a bit better video quality then MX Player.

I highly recommend the Re-Touched skin, most of the other ones really lag you down and honestly are ugly, Re-Touched is very quicky and quite nice.

Us3r, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Nov 2012.
23-03-2013, 11:32 AM
i am not a xmbc fan..coz i never in my life used it. but i see over the internet people are crazy about it. that is the best feature of xmbc that really wows a noob?
31-03-2013, 03:19 PM
(23-03-2013 11:32 AM)Niko Wrote:  [t]What is the best feature of xmbc that really wows a noob?
For me it's the fact that it does everything that Plex does, but without a server!

And it's free.

Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
(23-03-2013 11:32 AM)Niko Wrote:  [W]hat is the best feature of xmbc that really wows a noob?
The best feature of XBMC is the add-ons, there are many out there to watch movies or TV shows. Navi-X add-on is a start.
03-04-2013, 05:27 PM
can i watch us tv channels live with navi-x for free?? also does it work for users outside US?
04-04-2013, 02:49 AM
XBMC is pretty good but I cant recommend it on the Equiso Dumb TV, it doesnt have the cojones to run the internal XMBC player smoothly and the external players lack the same quality, I went back to using my laptop, still want my money back for this friggin thing.