Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wifi simply not usable
27-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Wifi simply not usable
Hi guys,

I'm also facing my first batch of disappointments with this seemingly nifty device.
The thing that's currently a total showstopper for me is the Wifi ...

I'm running a dual-band belkin router with dd-wrt on it, located in my office room. So far I haven't had any problems connecting to it with any of my devices from my living room (which is like 3 rooms away). But the equiso does neither catch the 2,4 nor the 5 GHz signal of my router. It only list 2-3 out of ~10 wifi signals that are available to all the other devices here (laptops, iphones ...).
I already tried to single out any configuration-differences by comparing the wifi networks which I see on the equiso to the other ones i only see on my laptop to find the reason why the majority of networks around is not picked up by the equiso - but didnt find anything yet.
I already tried all of the tips found here to increase wifi signal reception to no avail.
Also tried boosting the transmit power on the router to raise the signal lvl significantly over all the other networks ... no way.
The only way I was able to get it online so far was using a mac mini, that is located in the living room and connected to m network via ethernet, as an accesspoint - the mini is located practically next to the stick ... but I dont want to keep my mini running as bridge and have yet another wifi network just for that purpose.

I have no clue if my unit is defective or if it's just that bad ...

Another thing i already tried is installing the available beta version, which did bring some improvements (UI feels a little less sluggish, output is set to "auto detect" by default now, which properly sets 1080p on my TV ... ) but no improvements in the wifi department unfortunately Sad

any ideas/tips welcome

cheers
johnny
27-10-2012, 11:25 PM
RE: Wifi simply not usable
as stupid as it sounds, but have you tried rebooting your router a few times? I had strange issues too until I did a reset of the router and from that point on, my equiso could at least see it and conect to it reliably with not very decent, but usable speeds (about 300 kb/s). still, the wifi performance of that device is a right letdown. I even had to fiddle with the antenna positions on my router to get it to have better reception, although it sits only about 2 meters away.

schutzmann, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Oct 2012.
30-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Re: Wifi simply not usable
My router is just 1ft below my tv, but after 15min YouTube videos stuck on buffering then play then buffering.

I am guessing heat has something to do with wifi performance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
30-10-2012, 01:01 PM
In your router, at security, see if you have WPA2+TKIP enabled. Try setting it just to WPA2 (without TKIP).
It doesn't affect secure access to your network.

Pimmr, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum and owner of a rooted Equiso standard - since Oct 2012
30-10-2012, 05:32 PM
(30-10-2012 01:01 PM)Pimmr Wrote:  In your router, at security, see if you have WPA2+TKIP enabled. Try setting it just to WPA2 (without TKIP).
does removing the TKIP setting make your wifi stable?

bbilko, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum - Discussion Forums for the Equiso Smart TV since Oct 2012.
30-10-2012, 09:49 PM
I recently learned it will enable Wifi-N routers and devices to benefit from full capacity, with TKIP enabled I was told even Wifi-N devices do not get above 54mpbs/802.11g speeds.
TKIP is beeing phased out anyway. If it doesn't hurt, it might just help?
(30-10-2012 05:32 PM)bbilko Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 01:01 PM)Pimmr Wrote:  In your router, at security, see if you have WPA2+TKIP enabled. Try setting it just to WPA2 (without TKIP).
does removing the TKIP setting make your wifi stable?

Pimmr, proud to be a member of Equiso Forum and owner of a rooted Equiso standard - since Oct 2012
01-11-2012, 03:55 PM
@Jeanine:
Please pay attention to your backers' pleas for help!
On Facebook:
Toni Galdón I have sent you an email 1 week ago an I am still waiting WinkWink

On Kickstarter:

Toni Galdon about 1 hour ago
@equiso, still waiting a response about wifi problems for more than a week , it seems that writing here or emailing you don't care at all ..
Can you please check for Toni's email!

Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
01-11-2012, 04:04 PM
The wifi hardware is either very poor quality or its a software related issue.

I am hoping that all will be fixed on pro model.
01-11-2012, 04:18 PM
(01-11-2012 04:04 PM)Niko Wrote:  The wifi hardware is either very poor quality or its a software related issue.

I am hoping that all will be fixed on pro model.
I am actually not that dissapointed with the Wifi, I hear a lot of varying comments so either the build quality of the Equiso varies a lot, or there is a lot of user problems.
My Signal is about -70/-60 dB which is pretty good. I have my Equiso in the back of an HDMI switch in a tower of A/V equipment. My router is about 10ft away in a hallway closet.
I can easily stream Youtube, IMDB trailers, download apps etc.